Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I expected the work, but not as much fun

When I agreed to run for mayor, I knew it would be hard work. I didn't, however, realize how much fun it would be.
But believe me, it is. Both hard work, and fun.
Last week, for instance, I participated in my first two coffee and conversation meetings, both in Stonecroft here in New Hamburg. A dozen or so people came to each one, and they came with questions, comments, and issues they wanted to raise. It was invigorating, and challenging, and... I believe I mentioned this... fun. The desserts served by our hostess helped, of course.
I totally enjoyed interacting with two dozen people who are brimming with ideas, issues... and well-thought-through solutions.
Last weekend, I was invited to help judge the dessert contest at the St. Agatha Strawberry Festival. (Add to this my pie-making event earlier on, and it seems that desserts may well become the dominant theme of this election. Heck, we could do worse!)
The Strawberry Festival is really well planned and presented; there's lots for everyone to do, plenty of interesting displays and activities, good food and ­
I was especially impressed by this ­ wonderful activities for the smallest children. There was one blow-up, climb-in attraction that was surrounded by smiling parents, and contained what seemed at first glance to be an ant colony of pre-schoolers. Terrific.
I shared the judging responsibility with two other judges ­ one of my opponents in the mayoral race, and MP Harold Albrecht, strategically placed between us.
There were five fabulous desserts. As I tasted the final one, and remembered I was going to participate in eliminating two from the prize list, I realized this was an impossible and thankless task.
At the auction that immediately followed the judging, my wife had the great good sense to buy one of the two superb desserts that didn't get a ribbon; it was terrific, and I realized once again that so is she.
I met a lot of interesting people at the Strawberry Festival ­ old friends, acquaintances, and strangers who quickly became friendly acquaintances. I was especially impressed with the work being done by the couple who run the Bella Misty Meadows Animal Sanctuary, just west of St. Agatha. They ­-- Kara and Kris ­-- had organized the petting zoo. They deserve our thanks and support for the work they are doing.
All around the grounds in St. Agatha, I found people who were warm and conversational and interested in the unfolding election for mayor. The buzz is pretty substantial already; it's an exciting year to be involved.
We skipped down to Baden later Saturday afternoon for the Baden Family Fun Fair, a free day of activities organized by four local churches. There was a well-produced puppet show, more animals to pet, games and activities and refreshments and still more friendly people to chat with and share opinions with.
Monday, I helped run the New Hamburg Board of Trade golf tournament, at Dundee. Actually, the organizing committee, which I chair, does all the advance work, but when the day comes, our generous wives take over, and the organizers don our golfing hats and play in the tournament. Not well, but we play.
We raised about $10,000 for the community work of the Board of Trade, and had a ton of fun doing it.
I will say this ­ at the community events, I am greeted with kindness; among golfing buddies, the respect is diminished considerably. It's amazing how many golfing insults can contain the word "mayor".
But a good time was had by all --­ and again, I got the chance to spend time with great people from this township.
I signed up for this election because I love these communities; every day the campaign continues, I discover more and more evidence to support that position. And I'm having a really good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment